Monday, January 13, 2014

Steak Salad with Healthy Creamy Vinaigrette Dressing

Pin It Now!


Guys, I've been holding out on you.  You'll forgive me when I share this recipe with you, I hope.  A few months ago, I came across a steak salad recipe on my friend Mary's blog.  Normally I make salads with chicken as the protein, but this salad recipe inspired me to venture out a bit. 

For this Salad recipe you will need:
  • Romaine Lettuce
  • Strawberries
  • Blue Cheese
  • 1 1/2 pounds sirloin steak
  • Olive oil
  • Salt
  • Pepper
For the dressing you will need:
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
  • 1 1/2 tablesppons Dijon mustard
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
  • 3 tablespoons nonfat Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 tabelspoon extra-virgin olive oil
To prepare the steak, lightly coat with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper on all sides.  Set the oven to broil.  


My oven has a high and low broil setting, so I usually start it on high.  Put the two oven racks on the bottom racks.  Cover a cookie sheet with tinfoil and place on the bottom rack.  Then, put the steaks directly on the rack above.  



Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side depending on thickness of the meat.  I cook my meat medium rare, so if you prefer it more well done, adjust cooking time accordingly.  After five minutes, flip the steak.  Cook for another 4-5 minutes. 


Move the oven racks to the top two racks, putting the cookie sheet between the two racks.  Change the oven temperature to low broil.  Put the steak directly on the top rack.  Cook for 3-4 minutes.  Turn the steak one more time and cook for a final 3-4 minutes. 

 

When the steak is done, remove from the oven and set on a cutting board to cool for about 15-30 minutes.   



Once the steak has rested, slice it into small pieces.  Try not to be too amazed at how wonderfully it has cooked.


Slice your lettuce and strawberries.  Don't forget to wash them!



Let's move on to the dressing.  It's really easy.  Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl or Tupperware that you will use for storage using a whisk.  Voila!  Simple and healthy.  I haven't used store bought dressing in years!



Lastly, tossed the sliced steak with the lettuce, strawberries and blue cheese.  Add dressing to taste.  I've made this salad probably five or six times since August.  I am in love with it.  It is extremely fresh and satisfying.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!



No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from our readers! After you submit a comment it will come to us for approval. We like to keep things clean and fun! So if you don't see it right away, don't worry, it will pop up soon.