Thursday, January 17, 2013

Low Fat Blueberry Banana Bread

Pin It Now!
  • I do not bake. I really do not bake. The challah post was the first time I've ever attempted to bake any kind of bread other than banana bread. But I have a tendency to buy too many bananas, and as soon as a brown spot appears, I cannot bring myself eat them. In an effort not to waste my overripe bananas, I've made a A LOT of banana bread. 
  • I really wish I knew who to credit for this recipe. But I have made it so many times and made so many tweaks over the last 5 years, that I don't think it belongs to anyone else anymore. My goal with this recipe was to make it as healthy as possible, while still maintaining the flavor. Over the years I have tried whole wheat flour, omitted the butter altogether, and cut the amount of sugar by half. After all these variations, this is the recipe that I have decided is the right balance of healthy and delicious. Sadly, whole wheat flour was not a success. I know, I know there's wheat germ and spelt flour and all those other uber healthy alternatives, but I still want my creation to taste like banana bread. This time I mixed in some blueberries. You could also throw in chocolate chips, slivered almonds, or walnuts to vary it up. 
  •  
  • Here is what you'll need:
  • 3-4 very ripe bananas
  • 1 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 tbsp butter or margarine
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 carton of blueberries
  • 2 tbsp natural apple sauce (No sugar addded)
  • Ground Cinnamon (a lot)


First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Then, peel your overly ripe bananas and place them into a large mixing bowl.

Mash the bananas using a potato masher, large fork, or (if all your other ktichen utensils have up and vanished) your clean hands. This would be a really fun recipe to make with kids!


This next part is easy. You take ALL of your ingredients and you add them into the bowl with the bananas. Yes, ALL of the other ingredients. No prep work this time! 




Can anyone tell me the difference between baking soda and baking powder? This is seriously why I do not bake! I really do not know the difference! 


 
The leftover applesauce makes a healthy snack while you're waiting the hour for your bread to bake! 


Crazy how easy this recipe is, right? You literally just pour all of the ingredients into a bowl. 



Then you just mix it all together! 



I added the blueberries last- mostly for dramatic photo effect. Also it is fun to fold them into the dough! 


Make sure all of your ingredients are fully incorporated into the batter. Resist the urge to eat spoonfuls of raw dough. OK, don't. I didn't either. 


Next, lightly grease your loaf pan. I used PAM but you could also use butter. Then pour the batter into the pan and spread it around evenly. Totally optional, but I love cinnamon, so I sprinkled extra cinnamon on top before baking. 



Next pop the loaf into the oven and set your timer for 60 minutes. You should start checking your bread for doneness around 50 minutes, but it will almost always require the full hour. 

Finally, let it cool and serve! I find the loaf keeps for up to a week if covered with foil. 






I am sure you all have your own family banana bread recipes passed down from your great, great Aunt Roberta. So tell me, what should I try next time? Are there healthier flours I can substitute without losing the flavor? 




No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from our readers! After you submit a comment it will come to us for approval. We like to keep things clean and fun! So if you don't see it right away, don't worry, it will pop up soon.