Friday, November 2, 2012

Chicken Marsala

Pin It Now!
 

One Sunday night I decided I wanted to prepare a simple, but delicious meal.  I didn't want to put in a ton of effort, and I also wanted to make sure there were leftovers.  I decided to go with one of my favorites, Chicken Marsala.  A quick Google search led me to Emeril Lagasse's recipe.  

For this recipe you will need: 
1/2 cup flour
1/8 cup cornstarch
1 tablespoon 
Essence spice mixture (recipe will follow)
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin and then cut in half
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
3 cups sliced mushrooms
3/4 cup Marsala wine
1 cup chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste
Chopped chives, for garnish, if desired

First, I made the "Essence".  This includes the ingredients listed below.  I didn't make the full recipe.  I just poured a few shakes of each ingredient into a Ziploc bag to be used for this recipe.  If you want to make enough to store and use again, follow the amounts listed below.

2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespooon oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

Once I finished preparing the "Essence", I cleaned the chicken and pounded it thin.  

Combine flour and Essence on a plate.  Coat the chicken in the flour and spice mixture.  

Then, heat oil and 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium heat until it is hot.  Add the chicken and cook it for about 5 minutes on each side.  

While the chicken was cooking, I sliced the mushrooms.

Once the chicken is cooked all the way through, remove from skillet and set aside.  


Then add one more tablespoon of butter to the skillet and then add the mushrooms.  Stir frequently until the mushrooms are thoroughly cooked.  At this point, I would also suggest cooking the linguine to go with the chicken marsala. 




Next, add the marsala wine to the pan and bring it to a boil.  Reduce the wine by about half - this took me about 10 minutes.  Once the wine has reduced, add the chicken stock. This is where my sauce started to deviate from Emeril's.  The sauce was supposed to become thick on its own, but I did not have this result.  To remedy, I added a few sprinkles of flour and cornstarch.  I let the sauce continue to cook for another ten minutes until it reached the consistency I wanted.  Then, I returned the chicken to the pan and let everything simmer for another three minutes.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

Plate the linguine and top with chicken Marsala.  Simple, delicious and budget friendly.

My only other quip with this recipe was that it said prep time was 10 minutes with a cook time of 20 minutes. In no way did this meal take me 30 minutes to prepare.  I don't consider myself the fastest chef, but I do think I'm fairly efficient in the kitchen.  One hour was a more appropriate time estimate.   I hope you enjoy this recipe if you give it a try! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from our readers! After you submit a comment it will come to us for approval. We like to keep things clean and fun! So if you don't see it right away, don't worry, it will pop up soon.